IMLEX Admission Requirements 2024
Minimum eligibility criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Electronical Engineering, Photonics, or in related field with good grades, issued by an internationally recognised university.
- Good command of English language. TOEFL iBT 92, IELTS Academic 6.5, PTE 62 OR Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in English language.
Application form and enclosures
The online application form must be filled in and the required enclosures need to be attached (in pdf format) with the on-line application. At the application state we require only scanned enclosures attached (uploaded) to the application form. Paper copies are not required during the application period. Please see further instructions and how to submit your application documents at UEF admissions website.
- B.Sc. degree certificate or equivalent, and an English translation of it, see admission requirements below
- An official transcript of academic records, and an English translation of it, see admission requirements below
- English language certificate, see admission requirements below
- Two recommendation letters, see admission requirements below
- Curriculum vitae. CV must be presented in chronological order and must not have gaps longer than 12 months during the recent five years
- A certificate of residence
- A copy of passport
- A passport-size photo
Admission requirements 2024
In 2024, a maximum of 20 students will be selected into the programme. The application period opens on 3 January 2024 and closes on 17 January 2024 at 15.00 (EEST). The applicants need to apply through the national Studyinfo portal at studyinfo.fi. Each applicant can only fill in and submit one application form in the joint application.
All applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Electronical Engineering, Photonics, or in related field corresponding to at least 3 years of full-time academic studies (equivalent of 180 ECTS credit units in the Finnish university system) obtained at an internationally recognised and accredited university or higher education institution.
The degree should include enough relevant studies completed at excellent levels, so that the admitted students will have sufficient background for the IMLEX studies. The relevant fields that will give points in the evaluation process are (list is not exhaustive, also other topics can be considered as merit)
- data structures and algorithms,
- programming skills,
- imaging; XR; computer graphics; electronics; lighting
In addition to the academic studies, skills gained from work experience or other studies can be taken into consideration.
These skills are separately evaluated for each candidate and evaluation points given taking into consideration the suitability for the IMLEX curriculum.
Admission is conditional if applicant applies to UEF with a degree that is not finished during the application period. It is required that the applicants deliver officially certified copies of the final degree certificate and the transcript of records to the programme coordinator by 9 August 2024.
The applicants should follow the guidelines given for the temporary (provisional) degree certificate and for official translations and country-specific regulations at UEF required documents website.
Applicants must either (1) meet the language proficiency criteria (see below), or (2) reach the minimum required language test results to be considered eligible to the University of Eastern Finland. No exceptions will be made and no waivers to the language proficiency requirements are given.
(1) Applicants who hold one of the following do not have to take an English language test
- Previous higher education degree has been completed in English
- other reliable proof of English language proficiency equivalent to level B2 in the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), approved by the IMLEX Admission Committee
(2) All other applicants have to take one of the following language tests
- TOEFL iBT, overall score 92
- IELTS (academic) overall score 6.5
- PTE (academic), overall score 62
- C1 Advanced overall score C or 180
- C2 Proficiency overall score level C1 or 180
No other degrees or statements of language proficiency will be accepted.
TOEFL, IELTS and PTE certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued, i.e. the language test needs to be in effect during the application period, from 3 January 2022 onwards.
In the application form statements about applicant’s motivation is required, including work experience and international experience, if relevant. In addition, CV, certificate of residence, copy of passport and passport-size photo of the applicant need to be attached in the application in pdf format.